Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Bokeh (bouquet)Technique

For this card I created a Bokeh (pronounced bouquet) background using a technique I saw in a video by Dawn Olchefske. Bokeh is a technique often used in photography to blur the image and it makes an interesting effect for a card background. You can create this effect in many ways. You can use water coloring and water color paper or sponging ink on white card stock to create your colored background. When it is dry apply White Craft ink in circles (you can use hearts, squares, star shapes) on the top. I used the Circle Framelits to cut a template with different sizes of circles out of a Window Sheet and the 1/2" circle punch for a smaller circle and once the White Craft ink was dry ( you can use a heat gun if in a hurry) I stamped my sentiment in Memento Black ink and added  rhinestones for some bling. For the inside of the card I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock and sponged the edges with Pumpkin Pie and Daffodil Delight.

For this card I chose 3 colors, you can do just two.  Pumpkin Pie 126945 , Daffodil Delight 115667, Melon Mambo 115656 and Memento Black ink 132708. The Another Thank You Photopolymer set 136835 was used for sentiment. Rhinestones 119246, sponges 101610. daubers 133773, snail adhesive 104332, window sheets 114323 (for template). The card stock used is Pumpkin Pie 133677, Daffodil Delight 119383 and Whisper White 100730.

There are several good videos on You Tube to help with this technique.  I hope you will try it!

Happy Stamping and Crafting!
Johnnie Sexton
A Hobby Demo with SU

2 comments:

  1. I loved learning how you did this! I never would have guessed you used white ink to create the bokeh effect. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bethany...it was messy but fun!

    ReplyDelete